We are now fortunate to have more information about what are toxic items to our dogs that are commonly lying around the house. As responsible pet parents, it is absolutely essential for us to know & be careful to keep these substances away from the pet’s reach.
Before we get on the list, we also need to be aware of symptoms of toxicosis (condition due to ingestion of poisons)
Please contact your veterinarian immediately if you see any of these symptoms or if your dog appears off from his/her usual self.
Poisonous substances commonly found in our households are:
- Over-the-counter medications
- Human prescriptions (acetominophen,
- Food Products including grapes, raisins, onions and garlic
- Veterinary products including chewable pet medications
- Household items like paint, glue, and cleaning products
- Rodenticides, pesticides, insecticides
- Plants (the entire list of plants toxic to dogs is available here)
- Garden products
We generally begin training our dogs to avoid picking up these items as part of their obedience trainings and always ensure we never allow the pets to be tempted by leaving these items unattended.
Source: ASCPA top toxins report